When you apply to Perpich Arts High School and are invited to audition or have a portfolio review, you may wonder what will happen during the process. A process like this can be stressful, but everyone involved in our admissions process wants you to succeed. Below is some information that can help you prepare and feel confident during your review.
Five words, five images
An important part of the admission review is the interview where you sit with the review panel and discuss your desire to come to Perpich, what your art means to you, what you hope to accomplish while at Perpich and your academic performance to date.
Each review panel includes a Perpich arts teacher, a Perpich academic teacher and a working artist from the community. For the interview you will meet with them and discuss your desire to come to Perpich. The panelists will ask what your art means to you and what you hope to learn at Perpich. Please know that they want to find out who you are; they are not looking for perfection. They will answer your questions too and check on your academic performance thus far.
Topics that may be covered include:
- Skill level appropriate to your background and past opportunities to study in your art
- Potential for improvement and growth in your art and academically
- Curiosity—willingness to step beyond the work you’ve done to date and try new things
- An ability to articulate why your art is important to you
- A clear idea of how attendance at Perpich, rather than your current school, will further your education in ways that will impact your future
"Sometimes I think back to my interview, think about how lucky I was to have been accepted, and think about how different my life might have been if it weren't for that great fortune." — Laura Fischer, '02, visual art
Get news and updates
To receive news and updates about admissions at Perpich Arts High School, sign up for our email newsletter, please email your name, year you plan to graduate and an email address.