- Apply Now!
- Visit Us!
- Perpich Hits the Road with traveling info sessions!
- Work Gallery
- High School Calendar
- High School News
- Student Services
- For Parents
- Faculty Directory
- Contact Us
- Learn more
Thursday, May 12, 2016
Perpich Arts High School students win SEVEN National Scholastic Arts and Writing Awards
Seven students in visual, media and literary arts have won recognition for their art at the highest level of the Scholastic Arts and Writing Awards. They are:
- Allison Baxter, Silver Key, junior in visual from Chisago City
- Tobio (Nina) Cooperman, Gold Key, junior in visual from Edina
- Abby Griffin, Gold Key, senior in visual from White Bear Lake
- Sophie Peterson, Gold Key, senior in literary arts from south Minneapolis
- Renee Roth, Silver Key, senior in media arts from Bloomington
- Carmela Simione, Silver Key, junior in media arts from northeast Minneapolis
- Sherrill Zheng, Gold Key and Herblock Foundation Award (cartooning) senior in visual from Roseville
Last year, students submitted 300,000 works of art and writing to the Awards; more than 68,000 were recognized at the regional level and celebrated in local exhibitions and ceremonies. The top 2,000 works in the country earned National Medals and were celebrated at a ceremony at Carnegie Hall.
At the state level ithis year, Perpich dominated with 118 awards. You can see the full list of state-level winners here.
Since 1923, the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards have recognized the vision, ingenuity and talent of our nation’s youth, and provided opportunities for creative teens to be celebrated. Each year, increasing numbers of teens participate in the program, and become a part of our community—young artists and writers, filmmakers and photographers, poets and sculptors, video game artists and science fiction writers, along with countless educators who support and encourage the creative process.
Congratulations to our national and state winners! Perpich proud!
Return to list.