Bethune Community School
Bethune Community School is continuing to grow and flourish as a Turnaround Arts: Minnesota school, and this year is looking even better: almost of its teachers have returned for two years in a row and standardized assessment results in all grade levels show strong academic growth, especially with an increase in math. The challenges continue to loom large, but optimism -- and the arts -- are filling the hallways and classrooms.
- Increase student achievement through creating and implementing cross-curricular and multidisciplinary arts-integrated curriculum.
- Increase students' sense of self-worth and respect for themselves, others and property through theater arts, artists in residence and school beautification.
- Increase presence of positive role models and positive relationships for students through visiting artists and artists in residence.
- Increase and stabilize student attendance through arts events and activities.
- Increase family involvement and confidence in the school through volunteers, showcase events and family/child art activities.
Bethune Community School, 919 Emerson Ave. North, Minneapolis, MN 55411
Principal: Cheryl Martin
Grades Pre-K – 5
SIG Grant 2010
2012 MDE Designation: Priority
2014 MDE Designation: Priority
2016 MDE Designation: Priority
3% Native American
97% free/reduced lunch
23% special education
19% homeless and highly mobile
Bethune Turnaround Arts Mission Statement
Through their participation in high-quality, integrated arts education programming, every child is college and career ready.