Northport Elementary School
Northport Elementary jumped into Turnaround Arts: Minnesota with wholehearted enthusiasm by organizing a school beautification day before school started in 2014. Students, teachers, parents and community members all gathered with dozens of paint cans and brushes and began brightening up both the exterior and the interior of the school. It was their way of showing they are a new school on a new path through the arts.
At the end of the first year, behavior referrals and suspensions have decreased by 43% compared to the previous school year. Suspensions of African American boys is reduced by nearly 50%.
- Integrate the arts with a focus on literacy and higher order thinking skills.
- Focus on English language arts, using theater skills and visual thinking strategies to help students build literacy skills.
- Increase family involvement through the arts.
- Establish an annual Beautification Day to increase family involvement.
- Do a major theater production of the musical, “Annie.”
- Increase student engagement through arts integration in order to decrease student behavior problems.
- Train all staff in arts-based strategies to help students engage in the arts and learning through focus and self-regulation and to reinforce and deepen learning.
Northport Elementary School, 5421 Brooklyn Blvd., Brooklyn Center, MN 55429
Principal: Fredrico Rowe
2012 MDE Designation: Priority
2014 MDE Designation: Focus
2016 MDE Designation: Focus
42% African American
1% Native American
83% Free/reduced lunch
3% Homeless and highly mobile
33% English Learner