Northport Elementary School
Northport Elementary jumped into Turnaround Arts: Minnesota with wholehearted enthusiasm by organizing a school beautification day before school started in 2014. Students, teachers, parents and community members all gathered with dozens of paint cans and brushes and began brightening up both the exterior and the interior of the school. It was their way of showing they are a new school on a new path through the arts.
Behavior referrals and suspensions have decreased significantly over the 2 years - behavior referrals have decreased to neraly half of what they were in 2013 - 2014, and in-school suspensions have decrease about 90% Out-of-school suspensions of African American boys has decreased by nearly 80%.
The principal,Frederico Rowe, is new to Newport in 2015-16 and brings with him experience in using the arts to make schools a great place to learn. Music was central to who he was growing up, and he played the tombone in college band. He went on to be a model teacher for arts infusion and as a school leader found ways to bring arts into schools that had none.
- Integrate the arts with a focus on literacy and higher order thinking skills.
- Focus on English language arts, using theater skills and visual thinking strategies to help students build literacy skills.
- Increase family involvement through the arts.
- Establish an annual Beautification Day to increase family involvement.
- Do a major theater production of the musical, “Annie.”
- Increase student engagement through arts integration in order to decrease student behavior problems.
- Train all staff in arts-based strategies to help students engage in the arts and learning through focus and self-regulation and to reinforce and deepen learning.
Northport Elementary School, 5421 Brooklyn Blvd., Brooklyn Center, MN 55429
Principal: Fredrico Rowe
2012 MDE Designation: Priority
2014 MDE Designation: Focus
2016 MDE Designation: Focus
42% African American
1% Native American
83% Free/reduced lunch
3% Homeless and highly mobile
33% English Learner