Northside Elementary School
Northside Elementary School, in the St. James School District, entered its first year in Turnaround Arts: Minnesota with wide and enthusiastic support. Even though the principal for that year, Karla Beck, has moved on, new principal Doug Storbeck is continuing and expanding during the second year of the project.
- 100 percent of teachers will collaborate to develop a standards-based arts integration project.
- All teachers will learn theater skills well-matched to teaching literacy. Arts leadership team members will share arts integration strategies.
- Every student will have at least one artist-in-residency experience and one professional arts experience during the school year.
- The school will produce an after-school musical and other performances to connect with all families in the district.
- Through drama experiences the school will include new families in new ways, increase student engagement and create a positive school environment.
Northside Elementary School, 1273 10th Ave. N., St. James MN 56081
Principal: Doug Storbeck
SIG Grant 2013
2012 MDE Designation: Priority
2014 MDE Designation: Continuous improvement
.06% American Indian
1% African American
56% Free and reduced fee lunch
20% English language learners
13% Special education
Northside Turnaround Arts Vision Statement
Northside Elementary, as a Turnaround Arts school, will use high expectations to achieve real results that empower all students to learn in the arts, creatively use arts experiences to connect to other content, and extend learning. Transforming the learning approach by infusing and engaging with the arts will include an invitation to families and the community to participate as we work to close the achievement gap. Excellence in education and a vibrant learning environment will be evident.