Red Lake Middle School
Red Lake Middle School loved the concept of Turnaround Arts: Minnesota, seeing it as a way to bring traditional Native arts traditions into the curriculum in ways that would engage students, teachers, parents and the entire community.
- Integrate the arts into other content areas with a focus on higher order thinking skills.
- Increase positive peer relationships and support.
- Increase family support and involvement in the school.
- Increase Ojibwe cultural knowledge and connections.
- Leverage the visual arts to create physical spaces that comfort and heal.
Red Lake Middle School, P.O. Box 499, Red Lake MN 56671
Principal: Mark Bensen
SIG Grant 2013
2012 MDE Designation: Priority
2014 MDE Designation: Priority
2016 MDE Designation: Focus
100% American Indian
77% Free and reduced fee lunch
16% Special Education
7% Homeless/Highly Mobile
Red Lake Turnaround Arts Mission Statement
Red Lake Middle School is an artistic cultural school environment. Our vision is to develop a healing cultural school environment where the families and community become an integral part of and contribute to the positive relationships with and among students and staff. The school embodies the student’s creative and artistic endeavors and hidden talents to achieve the success of all.