- This event has passed.
BOOK STUDY: PORTRAITS OF MUSIC EDUCATION AND SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING: TEACHING MUSIC WITH HEART
June 22, 2022 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pmFree
This book showcases the inspiring stories and innovative ideas of music educators who are implementing Social Emotional Learning (SEL) instruction with intentionality in their classrooms at the elementary, middle, and high school levels. These teachers share their real-world challenges and triumphs with SEL instruction, along with many tips, activities, lesson plans, and suggestions for embedding SEL in a way that is musical, intentional, and meaningful. Importantly, Portraits of Music Education and Social Emotional Learning approaches SEL from a culturally relevant and equitable lens, accounting for the ways in which SEL instruction interacts with culture, race, background, and uniqueness, therefore making it a powerful tool for embracing social justice and student empowerment. At its core, SEL gives students the ability to have difficult conversations, cope with stress, and navigate challenges. And while each teacher presents their unique approach to SEL, they come to the same conclusion: SEL is critical to the success of their students and programs.
- Kourtney Ryan teaches general music in grades 1-5 at Valentine Hills Elementary School in the Mounds View School District. They are a graduate of UW Eau Claire and previously worked in the St. Cloud School District.
- Paula Ulicsni Halvorson teaches K-5 general music and 4th and 5th grade orchestra at Kennedy Elementary in Willmar. She previously taught in Sioux City, Iowa, where she was a traveling orchestra teacher for grades 4-12.
- Heidi Olson teaches at Big Lake High School—Freshman Band, Concert Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band (extracurricular), Guitar, Music Theory, and High School Success Skills (a class required of all students for graduation). She has been a leader in the school’s SEL work and was a member of the 2021-2022 Perpich music PLC focused on SEL.
WHO: All Minnesota music educators are welcome! Registration is limited to 20.
SCHEDULE OF VIRTUAL MEETINGS:
- Now – Secure your copy of Portraits of Music Education and Social Emotional Learning: Teaching Music with Heart and read the Introduction
- Wednesday, June 15 (3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.) – Discussion on Part One: Elementary, chapters 1-3
- Wednesday, June 22 (3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.) – Discussion on Part Two: Middle School, chapters 4-7
- Wednesday, June 29 (3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.) – Discussion on Part Three: High School, chapters 8-11
TOTAL TIME COMMITMENT: Approximately 10 hours, including personal reading/reflection and three Wednesday discussions. A certificate for 10 CEUs will be provided.
COST: There is no cost to participate (other than securing the book on your own).