- This event has passed.
CLASSROOM VISIT – BIRCH GROVE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL FOR THE ARTS – CLASSROOM VISIT WITH KRIS HOLSEN, DRAMA SPECIALIST
October 13 @ 8:45 am - 2:00 pmFree
“THE INTENTION OF TEACHER-TO-TEACHER OBSERVATION IS THAT IT BE A TOOL FOR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND, IN TURN, FOR STUDENT LEARNING.”
DATE AND TIME:
Friday, October 13, 2023 (8:45 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.)
- 8:45 a.m. Check in at the Main Office (please bring photo ID)
- 9:00 a.m. Introductions, quick intros, and brief tour
- 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Observe Kris’ theater classes (3rd, 4th, and 5th grade sections)
- 12:00 p.m. – 12:15 p.m. Travel to local restaurant for lunch and facilitated conversation (pay on your own)
- 12:15 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. Facilitated conversation about our observations and Q&A/Debrief with Kris
- 1:45 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Wrap up
EVENT LOCATION #1 (SCHOOL):
Birch Grove Elementary School for the Arts
4690 Brookdale Drive N.
Brooklyn Park, MN 55443
*Note: Participants can park in the visitor spaces or any available space in the parking lot.
EVENT LOCATION #2 (LUNCH + FACILITATED CONVERSATION):
Mi-Sant Bahn Mi Co.
8540 Edinburgh Centre Dr.
Brooklyn Park, MN 55443
ABOUT THE DAY:
This day is a unique opportunity to inform your teaching practice through peer observation and discussion while forming stronger connections with theater teachers nearby. To accomplish this,
- We will observe Kris Holsen teach three sections of Elementary Drama classes (3rd, 4th, and 5th grade). We will pay particular attention to classroom routines, rituals, and community building. Think about your “Ah-ha!” and “I wonder…” moments.
- Following the classroom observation, Perpich Theater Education Specialist Stephanie Lein Walseth will facilitate a discussion of our observations and then introduce you to opportunities to connect our observations into practical implementation ideas focused on the Minnesota Academic Standards in Theater.
- You will take away new ideas and strategies for your classroom, plus have a better understanding of how the new theater standards relate to the classes you teach.
- The day is hosted by Dr. Stephanie Lein Walseth, Theater Education Specialist in Professional Development & Resource Programs at Perpich Center for Arts Education. There is no cost to participate. A certificate for 5 clock hours will be distributed at the end of the day.
- Note: The maximum number of participants is 5. Registration will close when we reach that number.
- Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org