SUPPORT FOR THE SUCCESS OF YOUR EARLY-CAREER AND TIER 1/2 ARTS TEACHERS
September 28 @ 9:30 am - 2:30 pm
Perpich Center for Arts Education is committed to being part of a support system for early-career and Tier 1 and Tier 2 Arts educators teaching dance, theater, music, visual arts, and media arts! A year-long menu of opportunities is planned, beginning with an in-person workshop in September.
SEPTEMBER WORKSHOP: In this initial, in-person workshop, early-career and Tier 1/2 Arts educators will:
- Explore systems, procedures, and routines in an Arts classroom
- Consider proactive classroom management strategies in an Arts classroom
- Gain understanding of the new Arts standards and benchmarks
- Dig into the basics of lesson design, learning targets, and formative/summative assessment in an Arts classroom
- Look at vocabulary for talking about teaching and learning in an Arts classroom
- Begin to develop a network of support with other participants and Arts Education specialists from Perpich Center
- Take away ready-to-use lesson ideas/strategies.
The workshop is facilitated by the team of Arts education specialists in PDR, all with extensive teaching experience in the Arts and experience in leading professional development for K-12 educators.
SEPTEMBER WORKSHOP DATES AND LOCATIONS: This workshop is presented two times. Choose to participate at the most convenient location:
- Thursday, September 21 (9:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.) at Perpich Center for Arts Education, Gaia Building, Golden Valley – Dance, Theater, Visual Arts and Music educators
- Thursday, September 28 (9:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.) at South Central Service Cooperative, North Mankato – Visual Arts and Music educators only
WHAT’S PROVIDED AT THIS WORKSHOP? Workshop participants will receive at no cost:
- All materials and handouts
- Snacks and lunch
- A copy of two books for upcoming discussions – The Beginning Teacher’s Field Guide: Embarking on Your First Years by Tina Boogren and Classroom Management for Art, Music and PE Teachers by Michael Linsin
OTHER DETAILS: Perpich Center is not able to offer reimbursement for travel expenses or substitute costs for Arts educators to attend this workshop. Those costs are left up to each school/district.
QUESTIONS? Please email Wendy Barden, Director of Professional Development and Resource Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org
LOOKING AHEAD! Our support for early-career and Tier 1/2 Arts educators in Minnesota offers a year-long menu of opportunities. Watch for future registrations!
- October-November – Observe in-person in an arts-specific classroom in various locations across Minnesota and debrief with the host teacher and Perpich Arts Education specialist
- Thursday, Oct 26 (4:30 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.) – Virtual discussion on The Beginning Teacher’s Field Guide: Embarking on Your First Years
- Wednesday, Nov 15 (4:30 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.) – Virtual workshop “Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy in the Arts”
- Thursday, Dec 7 (4:30 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.) – Virtual workshop with break-out rooms “Top Five Lesson Ideas”
- January-April – Multiple virtual workshops focused in the Arts including Positive Behavior, Accommodations/Adaptations, Reading Preparation, and English Learners
- Wednesday, Jan 17 (4:30 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.) – Virtual discussion on Classroom Management for Art, Music and PE Teachers
- Wednesday, Feb 21 (4:30 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.) – Virtual workshop “Ladder of Inference (focused in Arts classrooms)”
- Thursday, Mar 7 (4:30 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.) – Virtual workshop “More Top Five Lesson Ideas”
- Tuesday, Apr 23 (4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.) – Virtual workshop “Cultural Conflict Inventory (focused in Arts classrooms)”
- Wednesday, May 8 (4:30 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.) – Virtual workshop “End of the Year Teacher Burnout/Rejuvenation”
We are committed to being part of the support system for early-career and Tier 1/2 Arts educators, and look forward to working with you and Arts educator(s) from your school or district!