- This event has passed.
THEATER DIRECTOR AND EDUCATOR SUMMER CONFERENCE 2023: BUILDING COMMUNITIES OF BELONGING
August 9 @ 11:00 am - 10:00 pm$30
DATE & TIME: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 – 11:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Perpich Center for Arts Education (6125 Olson Memorial Hwy., Golden Valley, MN 55422) and Luminary Arts Center (700 N 1st St., Minneapolis, MN 55401)
Join Spotlight Education & Perpich Center for Arts Education on Wednesday, Aug. 9
This year’s one-day summer conference extravaganza will include:
- A BIPOC Playwright Panel Discussion on Decolonizing & Diversifying the Canon
- Breakout Sessions including:
- New Director Crash Courses (Acting/Directing 101 and Choreography 101)
- Intimacy Training, Boundary Setting, and Community Care
- Student Leadership Development in Technical Theater
- Strategies for Understudies in the era of COVID
- Running Playwriting Workshops with your Students
- MN Theater Arts Standards Implementation in 2023-2024
- …and more!
- And a performance of Theater Mu’s The Kung Fu Zombies Saga: Shaman Warrior & Cannibals by Saymoukda Duangphouxay Vongsay at the Luminary Arts Center
SCHEDULE AT A GLANCE:
10:45 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Arrive at Perpich Center + Check In
11:00 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. Welcome and Conference Overview
11:15 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. BIPOC Playwright Panel – Decolonizing and Diversifying the Canon
12:30 p.m. – 1:15 p.m. Catered Lunch with Hosted Table Discussions + Perpich Library Visits
1:15 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. Breakout Sessions (3 Session Blocks @ 75 min + Breaks/Transitions)
5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Dinner + Optional Open Space Conversations
6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Travel to the Luminary Center for the Arts + Check In
7:30 p.m. Theater Mu’s The Kung Fu Zombies Saga (Space is limited!)
REGISTRATION FEE – $30
Your registration fee will help offset the cost of the presenters and cover your catered meals. The fee is $30 and you can pay by credit card to hold your spot for this event. If cost is a barrier, scholarships are available. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.