- This event has passed.
2021 MINNESOTA DANCE SUMMIT PART TWO
March 27, 2021 @ 8:45 am - 2:00 pmFree
The 2021 Minnesota Dance Summit Part Two is March 27, 2021.
This event is hosted by Perpich Center for Arts Education in collaboration with Dance Educator’s Coalition of Minnesota.
Lenses of Teaching – Examining our Viewpoints and Redefining our Field
- Who do we see in our classes?
- How do see our students?
- How do we see ourselves?
- What is our canon?
- How can we employ culturally responsive pedagogy in these times?
- Explore these questions as our community discusses and dances them.
- “When Tradition and Inclusion Collide” with Phil Chan
What happens when outdated Eurocentric portrayals of people of color in “classic” works collide with efforts to bring about inclusion in equity in the performing arts?
- “Who Is Known – Using Culturally Responsive Dance Pedagogy to Increase Empathy in the Dance Classroom” with Mary Harding
This session will highlight several culturally responsive strategies such as cultural mapping exercises and discussions of identity.
- “Moving and Writing in the Unknown”” with Orlando Hunter and Riccardo Valentine
This will be a work shop that is geared toward embodying self accountability through moving and writing centering an African diasporic lens.
- “Partnerships Through Policy: Connecting Pre-Service Teachers to Community Resources” with Betsy Maloney Leaf
This session examines how the author, teaching in a K-12 dance license program, developed learning experiences to support a specific state academic standard in the arts acknowledging the contributions of Minnesota American Indian tribes and communities.
- “Outing the Other by Uprooting Whiteness in the Concert Dance Canon: from Primitivism to Modernism” with Dr. Julie Kerr Berry
This session will focus on continued research and critical discourse in dance education that de-centers the concert dance cannon.
Date and Time:
Saturday, March 27, 2021 from 8:45 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Virtual Platform – You will be emailed a link, along with the agenda, after registering. Sessions will be shorter with plenty of break times.
FREE – REGISTRATION LINK
You will receive 5 Professional Development clock hours for attending part 2 of the Summit.
Questions or comments? Email email@example.com