- This event has passed.
DEMONSTRATION SCHOOL VISIT – HIBBING
December 2, 2019 @ 6:05 am - 11:00 amFree
This day is a unique opportunity to inform your teaching practice through peer observation of high school tech/design and management courses, following the Career Academy Model where students learn real-world skills in the classroom and transfer them to the stage. To accomplish this,
- We will observe Regional Arts Teacher-Leader Susan Nelson teach a Theater Business Management class and a Stagecraft class, paying attention to areas such as student engagement, instructional strategies, formative assessment, and/or teaching resources. Think about “Ah-ha!” and “I wonder…”
- Tour Hibbing High School’s historic auditorium space and discuss the opportunities and challenges it presents in terms of tech/design and theater production in general.
- Following the class observations and tour, we will move to The Sportsmen’s Café, where Stephanie Lein Walseth will facilitate a discussion of our observations.
Take away new ideas and strategies for shaping and teaching your high school theater tech/design and management classes. This observation day may be especially valuable to teachers thinking about adding tech/design courses to their high school theater curriculum, and/or those interested in the Career Academy Model.
The day is facilitated by Dr. Stephanie Lein Walseth, Theater Education Specialist in Professional Development & Resource Programs at Perpich Center for Arts Education.
Susan Nelson is completing her MA in Theater through Regent University and is pursuing her MN Teaching License in Theater via Portfolio. She teaches both theater and science courses at Hibbing High School, where she is the Thespian Troupe Leader
- There is no cost to participate in this professional development opportunity.
- A certificate for 5 clock hours will be distributed at the end of the day.
- The maximum number of participants is 10. Registration will be closed when we reach that number.