- This event has passed.
MARGINALIZED VOICES IN MUSIC EDUCATION
June 23, 2021 @ 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
MARGINALIZED VOICES IN MUSIC EDUCATION, Brent C. Talbot, ed. (Routledge, 2018).
MARGINALIZED VOICES IN MUSIC EDUCATION explores the American culture of music teaching and learning by looking at marginalization and privilege in music education as a means to critique prevailing assumptions and paradigms. In ten essays, authors set out to expand notions of who we believe we are as music educators and who we want to become. This book is a collection of perspectives by some of the leading and emerging thinkers in the profession. It identifies cases of individuals or groups who have experienced marginalization and shares diverse stories in a struggle for inclusion. Through the telling of these stories, the authors hope to recast music education as fertile ground for transformation, experimentation, and renewal.
WHAT: You are invited to join other music educators to read and study Talbot’s popular book.
OUTCOMES: Through participation in this book study, participants will:
- Increase understanding of access and power in music education
- Consider if, or how, music education allows us to actually teach “music for all”
- Develop stronger connections with other music educators across the state.
WHO: All Minnesota music educators are welcome. Registration is limited to 16.
FACILITATOR: Wendy Barden, Music Education Specialist in Professional Development and Resource Programs at Perpich Center for Arts Education.
SCHEDULE OF VIRTUAL MEETINGS:
- Now – Secure your copy of MARGINALIZED VOICES IN MUSIC EDUCATION, Brent C. Talbot, ed.
- Wed, June 16 (3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.) – Discussion on Chapters 1-3 + extra handout
- Wed, June 23 (3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.) – Discussion on Chapters 4-6
- Wed, June 30 (3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.) – Discussion on Chapters 7-10
TOTAL TIME COMMITMENT: Approximately 10 hours including personal reading/reflection and three Tuesday evening discussions. A certificate of CEUs will be provided.
COST: There is no cost to participate (other than securing the book on your own).