- This event has passed.
THEATER DIRECTOR AND EDUCATOR SUMMER CONFERENCE 2022
August 10, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 10:30 pm$25
Registration deadline – Friday, July 29th at 12:00 p.m.
Space for the Blackout Improv Workshop is almost full and there is a waitlist for Wicked tickets (though we may get access to a few more soon…), so register ASAP!
$25 registration fee + CEUs (numbers vary depending on your participation)
For K-12 and College/University Theater Directors, Educators, Tech Directors, and more
DATE & TIME: Wednesday, August 10 (9:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m.)
- Morning and afternoon sessions at Perpich Center for Arts Education: 6125 Olson Memorial Hwy, Golden Valley, MN 55422
- Dinner at The Hennepin event center: 900 Hennepin Ave. Minneapolis, MN 55403
- Followed by Wicked at the Orpheum
Along with our partners at Hennepin Theatre Trust’s Spotlight Education Program, we’re excited to announce our next professional development day for theater educators and directors on Wednesday, August 10! Featuring an Improv Workshop and Performance by Blackout Improv at Perpich Center + Hennepin Theatre Trust + Orpheum Theatre
KEYNOTE WORKSHOP AND PERFORMANCE FROM BLACKOUT IMPROV
Blackout Improv is an all-black improv troupe based in Minneapolis that’s a mix of comedy, social justice, and arts access. Their mission is to put more Black performers on more stages, to create comedic dialogue around serious truths, and to provide improv access for Black students. Blackout’s cast includes improvisers, standup comedians, musicians, classically trained actors, dancers, poets, writers, storytellers, and educators. Learn more at blackoutcomedy.org.
DINNER AND A SHOW!
Join us in the evening for a meal, courtesy of Hennepin Theatre Trust, followed by a trip to see Wicked at the Orpheum! Space to the show is limited, so sign up now!
OTHER SESSIONS INCLUDING…
- Inclusive Audition Practices
- Sound Design/Tech Fundamentals
- Directing Through Metaphor and Movement
- BIPOC and LGBTQ+ Scripts That Work
- Building a Theater Program Through Advocacy and Admin Support
- Creating Safe Spaces with Hair, Wig, and Makeup Techniques
- Information on META (Minnesota Educational Theater Association)
- Unconference Open Sessions for YOUR ideas
SCHEDULE AT A GLANCE:
9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Blackout Improv Workshop (Space is limited to 30 participants!)
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Blackout Improv Performance
12:00 p.m. – 12:30 p.m. Lunch
12:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Breakout Sessions
5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Solo Travel to The Hennepin
6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Dinner and drinks at The Hennepin
7:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. Wicked at The Orpheum (Space is limited to 30 participants!)
- Masks are currently optional at The Hennepin, but this policy may change by August. The Studio 900 event space has plenty of room for social distancing.
- CEUs (Continuing Education Units) are available for these sessions
REGISTRATION FEE – $25:
Your registration fee will help offset the cost of the presenters and cover your catered meals. The fee is $25 and you can pay by credit card to hold your spot for this event. If cost is a barrier, scholarships are available. Reach out to email@example.com.