Literary Arts Celebrates 2023 Minnesota Regional Scholastic Writing Awards
January 27, 2023
Perpich Literary Arts students and staff are celebrating another year of Scholastic Arts hard work and success!
We are very pleased to announce the 2023 Minnesota Regional Scholastic Writing Awards! Congratulations to the Perpich Silver Key and Honorable Mention award winners and our inspiring faculty!
- 4 Silver Key awards
- 7 Honorable Mention awards
Kevin Lally, Literary Arts Instructor, said, “I’m so excited that these talented writers are getting the recognition they well deserve. It is such a privilege and an honor to work with them!”
Gold Key works automatically advance to national judging. In New York City, renowned creative professionals review Gold Key works from across the country. Jurors select work for national recognition based on three criteria: originality, technical skill, and emergence of a personal vision or voice.
PERPICH ARTS HIGH SCHOOL 2023 MINNESOTA REGIONAL SCHOLASTIC Writing AWARDS RECIPIENTS
- Mia Tamez: Silver Key for Poetry wicked game
- Rowan Hilden: Silver Key for Personal Essay & Memoir A Journey Through Childhood Grief
- Rowan Hilden: Silver Key for Short Story Sculpt
- Rowan Hilden: Silver Key for Short Story Adam
- Mia Tamez: Honorable Mention for Poetry fall flesh
- Alana Brandt: Honorable Mention for Poetry Russian Roulette
- Rowan Hilden: Honorable Mention for Science Fiction & Fantasy A Cat and A Cauldron-Stirrer
- Rowan Hilden: Honorable Mention for Short Story A Baker’s Snowfall
- Rowan Hilden: Honorable Mention for Flash Fiction She is a Constellation
- Addy Miller: Honorable Mention for Personal Essay & Memoir Pawprints
- Addy Miller: Honorable Mention for Short Story A Letter for Your Thoughts
Excerpts from award winners
Mia Tamez (Literary Arts 2023) said, “I’m glad to achieve one of my goals for senior year!”
wicked game, Mia’s Silver Key poetry piece
Visceral comfort will bring me curling
Back to you
Trees clatter together
Like bones in a fox den
The snow will swallow me whole
As will my thoughts
I was born to be bathed in candlelight,
Swaddled in sweaters,
Prone to a crow’s call,
Often to be seen
With something red on my lips
By the intestine-twisting
Scent of you
What a wicked game
A hollow winter night plays
Shadowed by the fume of vanilla and spice
You will find me here,
Waiting at the bottom of the bookshelf,
Awake, stalled only by the thought of you
Forest green of sweet bergamot and old books,
Warm breath in a snowy sky
Gold rings caught between the pages
Knitted sweater in the middle of a winter storm
Kind, moon-like spark in your eye,
Blessed by Artemis are you.
Oh visceral comfort,
All the beautiful things about you
That I have yet to know
And might never
Aquí nadie se salva
Salvo que seas tu mí lugar.
Rowan Hilden (Literary Arts 2024) said, “Submitting to Scholastic was a really different experience – I’ve never done anything like it before – but between workshopping pieces, writing in classes, and support from friends, it opened me up to see where writing can really take you.” Hilden received awards for several short stories. Here is the introduction from Sculpt.
Sculpt, Rowan’s Silver Key short story piece
You understand, now, the panic of a world in which you are powerless. You live in it.
You understand, now, the sculptures.”