CLASSROOM VISIT – CLOQUET HIGH SCHOOL
April 20 @ 8:45 am - 3:00 pmFree
DATE AND TIME:
Thursday, April 20, 2023 (8:45 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
- 8:45 a.m. Check in at the Main Office, Door #1
- 8:55 a.m. – 9:15 a.m. Introductions and Q&A in preparation for observation
- 9:20 a.m. – 11:08 a.m. Observe Drawing classes in Julie’s Visual Arts classroom
- 11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. Lunch on your own or with our group
- 12:20 p.m. – 1:20 p.m. Debrief with Julie and learn more about mindfulness/centering process
- 1:20 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Break
- 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Professional development with Jeremy Holien including a debriefing discussion of observations and the Minnesota Academic Standards in the Visual Arts.
Cloquet Senior High School
1000 – 18th St.
Cloquet, MN 55720
Note: Park in the main lot and then enter through the main office doors, Door #1
Join us for a professional arts learning experience that is a powerful combination of mindfulness practices, composition building processes, and creative expression. At the beginning of the lesson, Julie Deters will guide a mindfulness exercise to help us center and become fully present so that we can more easily set aside judgment and tap into our unique source of artistic expression. The lesson will then move to guided quick-sketches, teaching students how to use space effectively, weaving in Principles of Design to create a unique composition that shows depth and utilizes the entire space, thoughtfully.
This lesson is a perfect example of how Julie successfully integrates mindfulness practices to create a conducive environment in the art room. You will witness firsthand how these practices create a supportive and engaging space for students to learn and thrive. You will leave with a renewed sense of purpose and inspiration to help your students reach their full potential.
This day is a unique opportunity to inform your teaching practice through peer observation and discussion while forming stronger connections with visual arts teachers nearby. To accomplish this,
- We will observe Julie Deters’ art classroom and her processes for teaching mindfully as described above.
- Following the classroom observation, Jeremy Holien will facilitate a discussion of our observations and then introduce you to opportunities to connect our observations into practical implementation ideas focused on the Minnesota Academic Standards in the Visual Arts.
- You will take away new ideas and strategies for your classroom, plus have a better understanding of how the new Visual Arts standards relate to the classes you teach.
The day is hosted by Jeremy Holien, Visual & Media Arts Education Specialist of Professional Development & Resource Programs at Perpich Center for Arts Education. There is no cost to participate. A certificate for 6 clock hours will be distributed at the end of the day.
Note: The maximum number of participants is 7. Registration will close when we reach that number.
There is no cost to attend, however, due to the limited space within this professional learning event, please ensure you are able to attend.