minnesota K-12 Academic arts Standards
Perpich Center works with Minnesota teachers to help them realize their full creative and professional potential. Below are the current Minnesota K-12 Academic Arts Standards along with tools to assist with implementation, curriculum development, and more!
The Minnesota K-12 Academic Arts Standards include a combination of foundational knowledge and skills in an art form with the ability to work in four processes fundamental to the arts: Creating, Responding, Performing/Presenting, and Connecting. The Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards in the Arts include five arts areas: dance, media arts, music, theater, and visual arts.
For more information on the standards, assessment, or Minnesota graduation requirements, please visit the Minnesota Department of Education Arts Standards webpage.
all arts areas
- 2018 Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards in the Arts
- Glossary: 2018 Minnesota Academic Standards in the Arts
- MDE Current Arts Education Requirements: Standards, Credits and Courses
- MDE Recommended Minnesota Arts Standards Transition Timeline, 2019-2022
- Anchor Standards and Strands: 2018 Minnesota Arts Standards
- 2018 Minnesota Arts Standards Foundations Overview
- MN Standards Implementation Portal
- Video Intro to 2018 MN Standards in Music
- 2018 Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards in Music
- 2018 Minnesota Academic Standards in Music – By Grade Level
- Music Glossary Companion to 2018 Arts Standards
- Comparison of 2008 and 2018 Minnesota Music Standards
- Example of Bundling Music Benchmarks
- Comprehensive Matrix of 2018 MN Academic Standards in Music
- Example of Foundational Knowledge in Music Benchmarks
- Artistic Processes – Academic Standards and Benchmarks in Music
assistance with academic standards
Perpich Professional Development staff members have expertise in helping teachers implement the Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards into their classrooms. We have specialists in all arts areas. Connect with your specialist below.
NATIONAL STANDARDS FOR ARTS EDUCATION
The National Core Arts Standards outline what every K-12 student should know and be able to do in the arts. The national standards are “A process that guides educators in providing a unified quality arts education for students in Pre-K through high school.” Perpich Professional Development staff contributed to the writing of these national standards which are used to inform the development and implementation of state standards.
COMMON CORE STANDARDS
The Common Core Standards are the next generation of K-12 standards in English language arts and mathematics developed by the states through a joint effort. They help ensure that all students are college and career ready by high school graduation. Minnesota has adopted the English language arts common core but not the mathematics common core. For more information on the Common Core Standards and its integration of the arts, go to Common Core and the Arts on the Arts Education Partnership website.
TEACHER DEVELOPMENT & EVALUATION:
WHAT TO LOOK FOR
The purpose of the “Look For” documents is to help arts educators communicate about the teaching and learning in their classrooms with peers, instructional coaches, administrators, and others who may not have a background in the arts.